On 7/29/07, Rivo Laks <rivolaks@hot.ee> wrote:
Ühel kenal päeval (neljapäev 26 juuli 2007) kirjutas Jos Poortvliet:
> Hi guys,
>
> Since the dot-article in May (http://dot.kde.org/1180541665/), there has
> been some progress - like in the configuration area. For the upcoming KDE 4
> beta 1 release announcement, I'd love to have a short list of the added
> polish/features (just a few items, it'll be two or three lines text) and
> sure a screencast would rock (I can try to cook one up myself but I've
> never done so).

Hi

The main things probably are:
* Some new effects (latest ones are Invert, Sharpen, Looking glass)
* Improved other effects (e.g. presentwindows shows app icons, round&smooth
shadows)
* Support for automatic ordering and dependancy checking for effects
* Beginnings of new compositing (aka desktop effects) config module, to easily
enable compositing and some common effects.
* Automatic fallbacks, e.g. fallback to XRender when OpenGL compositing fails

Does this fallback to 'no compositing' if the user's hardware can't handle even XRENDER?

* Probably something else I don't remember right now ;-)

If you still want a screencast, I could try to do something tomorrow. How long
should it be? And you've got anything I should definitely show?

Would be wonderfull, and it's all up to you ;-)

What about the following text:

Since the previous report on Kwin, a lot progress has been made. Most work has gone into new and improved effects and their configuration dialog. Users of low-end hardware aren't forgotten, as Kwin will now automatically fall back to XRENDER or even plain CPU rendering in the absence of OpenGL rendering.

If a screencast covers any of these (or all), I'll just link one or several of these words to the screencast, btw.

Rivo

Thanx, and btw - great job, guys ;-)