List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Updates to effects
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-07-05 18:24:58

Ühel kenal päeval (neljapäev 05 juuli 2007) kirjutas Philip Falkner:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 13:07:44 Rivo Laks wrote:
> > Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev 25 juuni 2007) kirjutas Philip Falkner:
> > > On Monday 25 June 2007 10:48:12 Rivo Laks wrote:
> > > I'm ignoring other kinds of changes (e.g. vertices, shaders).  Still,
> > > I'm imagining five categories:
> > > 1) initial absolute changes (Zoom?)
> > > 2) effect doesn't care what came before (DialogParent, DesktopGrid?)
> > > 3) effect cares about what came before, makes changes (Fade)
> > > 4) final absolute changes (PresentWindows?)
> > > 5) effect cares what came before, no changes (Shadow)
> >
> > Something like that sounds quite fine, though perhaps there could be a
> > few more for shaders and whatnot.
> > And we'll also need some kind of more descriptive names for them. That's
> > the difficult part ;-)
>
> Well, why not just have arbitrary numbers?  Let every effect have a
> "priority" number, e.g. 1 to 100 with 1 loaded first.  We ship effects with
> relatively spread out numbers (10, 20, ...).  Effects that don't interfere
> with each other could share numbers, like DimInactive and DialogParent.

Categories (as in names) might be simpler to remember...
Anyway, I've got the ordering implemented here, but I don't seem to be able to
come up with decent names for the categories, so I could commit it with
numbers for now. If someone comes up with good enough names later, it can be
changed quite easily. What do you think?

Rivo