List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: SceneOpenGL::initDrawableConfigs() fails with i915
From:       Andre Duffeck <andre () duffeck ! de>
Date:       2007-06-03 18:09:02

Am Samstag, 2. Juni 2007 23:53:30 schrieb Philip Falkner:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 11:48:07 Andre Duffeck wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 2. Juni 2007 12:36:10 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> > >  According to
> > > http://compiz.org/FAQ/Users#How_can_I_get_Compiz_to_start_properly_on_m
> > >y_ in tegrated_Intel_Graphics_Chipset_.28i810-i950.29_with_AIGLX you
> > > could try using LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT just like its mentioned in
> > > COMPOSITE_HOWTO for ATI. This is only a guess though.
> >
> > That unfortunately didn't help either.
>
> The odd thing is that according to that debug log you posted,
> initDrawableConfigs() is finding 24bpp and 32bpp OpenGL configurations, but
> glxinfo is reporting that you only have 16bpp and 32bpp available.  Is your
> X server running at 16 bit depth?  That would explain both the glxinfo and
> why kwin warns that it can't find an appropriate framebuffer configuration
> for your default depth.  Not having an appropriate configuration for depth
> 16 if your windows are defaulting to depth 16 could also explain the white
> windows. Could you try running a program that creates a depth 32 window?
> Something like fdclock with the -sta parameter.
>
> Of course, if you are running at 16bit, why is initDrawableConfigs() only
> getting 24 and 32 from its call to glXGetFBConfigs()?
>
> In your log, I didn't see any complaints about not finding a framebuffer
> configuration for the buffer, which should also be looking for a
> configuration in your default depth.  Does kwin complain about that too for
> you?

I've tried both 16bpp and 24bpp, both with the same effects. At the time the
logs were created it was running with 16bpp IIRC.

The fdclock -sta looks the same (white and gray colored) with heavy
flickering, while without the -sta option it's black and does not flicker.

I have however found out that the problem only occurs if there is already
another X server running, blocking the DRI interface. Running kwin on the
only X server works, but is extremely slow. It takes 1-2 second to switch
focus or move a window.

André