List:       kwin
Subject:    Updates to effects
From:       Philip Falkner <philip.falkner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-02 22:23:11

Sorry for the long silence.

I have some patches I'd like some input on.

First, is an updated BoxSwitch.  It's one lump patch right now, but I'd
separate it out before committing.  I've added some features like animation,
following color settings, etc.  But the real meat, is an updated api for
effects replacing the tabbox.  It's a bit more verbose, but covers I think
what most replacements would want to do.  I also think it can be extended to
allow for new tabbox modes without disturbing existing effects.

It doesn't substantially change how the tabbox itself works.  Also, the
changes to toplevel.cpp and deleted.cpp are simply to stop kwin from sending
windowDamaged events for windows whose effectWindows have been deleted.

Second is a new Fade.  Unashamedly taken from the compiz fade, it can now fade
between any changes in opacity/saturation/brightness.  That is, it can handle
fading for other effects.  The question I have is, do we want this?  It gives
us a single place for the user decide whether they want things fading in and
out, and how quickly.  On the other hand, maybe effects are better off with
different speeds for different purposes, e.g. should the fade in
PresentWindows be able to be a different speed than the fade in DialogParent?
I think the centralised way is better, but I'm open to being told that's
wrong. :)

--
Philip Falkner