List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: __GL_YIELD
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-05-03 20:53:57

Ühel kenal päeval (kolmapäev 02 mai 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On Wednesday 02 of May 2007, Rivo Laks wrote:
[...]
> > Experimenting shows that setting  __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"  really does
> > improve (visible) performance. Especially animations feel a lot snappier
> > with it, possibly because window repaints are more delayed towards the
> > end of animation. So while the animation (e.g. desktop switch) is in
> > progress, you mostly see just a white/grey window background and usually
> > the window repaint is completed only at the end of the animation.
>
>  Ok. It doesn't seem to make any visible difference here, but maybe that's
> just me. If it helps, we probably should include it. However, if I'm
> getting it right, this needs to be set before the app is even launched
> (which is why Beryl restarts). That however doesn't work with KWin and
> kdeinit. We would probably have to load openGL dynamically instead of
> linking against it :-/.

We did that in Boson (dlopen()ing libGL) and IIRC it wasn't very pretty/easy,
so I'd avoid it if possible. Can't we just start KWin without using kdeinit
in case that variable has to be set?

> > BTW, can't we just keep the window texture around (window mapped or
> > whatever the correct term is) instead of repainting it every time it's
> > shown (e.g. on desktop switch)?
>
>  You mean keeping the window contents even when the window is hidden
> (minimized/on another virtual desktop/whatever)? I have an experimental
> patch for that but there are still some problems.

Yep, that's what I mean.
Are those problems resolvable in the near future?

Rivo