List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: __GL_YIELD
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-05-02 15:25:28

Ühel kenal päeval (kolmapäev 02 mai 2007) kirjutasid sa:
> Op Wednesday 02 May 2007, schreef Rivo Laks:
> > Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev 30 aprill 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> > >  Hello,
> > >
> > >  does somebody know about details about %subj%? This
> > > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2007-April/001965.html
> > > thread discusses some internal NVidia shell variable that should
> > > improve performance.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > From what I could find in the net, it tells the driver not to "yield it's
> > timeslice" which seems to mean that driver won't donate it's own
> > execution time to other programs. This would result in better
> > performance, especially under heavy cpu load.
>
> It sounds like an issue with interactivity, though. As you mention below,
> the animation goes smoother, but the window doesn't draw anymore. I guess
> what this does is ensure the GL part of the app gets all the CPU it can get
> it's hands on. If the window isn't doing anything else (or you can prevent
> the need for repaint by keeping the texture around), this would improve
> things visually. And if the GL code takes away from the 'work' the app has
> to do, I don't think that's a bad thing either - as long as you're not
> dealing with things like music and video playback. I can imagine those
> would get hurt.
>
> I don't know much about the details here, but playing with the scheduler is
> a dangerous thing. So be a bit carefull, you'd want sound to continue
> playing if one does a desktop switch :D

Well, we can always add a config options for this :-)
Furthermore, perhaps this option should be set to "use __GL_YIELD" at first,
so we can find out if it's causing problems for anyone. And if it is, then it
can be disabled by default for 4.0

Rivo