List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: __GL_YIELD
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-05-02 9:49:23

Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev 30 aprill 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
>  Hello,
>
>  does somebody know about details about %subj%? This
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2007-April/001965.html thread
> discusses some internal NVidia shell variable that should improve
> performance.

Hi

From what I could find in the net, it tells the driver not to "yield it's
timeslice" which seems to mean that driver won't donate it's own execution
time to other programs. This would result in better performance, especially
under heavy cpu load.

Experimenting shows that setting  __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"  really does improve
(visible) performance. Especially animations feel a lot snappier with it,
possibly because window repaints are more delayed towards the end of
animation. So while the animation (e.g. desktop switch) is in progress, you
mostly see just a white/grey window background and usually the window repaint
is completed only at the end of the animation.
BTW, can't we just keep the window texture around (window mapped or whatever
the correct term is) instead of repainting it every time it's shown (e.g. on
desktop switch)?

So IMHO it would probably be a good idea to use __GL_YIELD when doing GL
compositing.

Rivo