List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Effect API additions patch
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-03-31 12:26:21

Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev 31 märts 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On pá 30. března 2007, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Here's the first patch for Effect API additions. I know it's not much but
> > hey, you gotta start somewhere ;-)
> >
> > The added methods are documented so I won't explain them here.
> > Point of init() is that if we want to get effect's config widget (or
> > check if it's supported()), we can construct the effect without having
> > any data loaded.
> >
> > If those additions are fine, then the next step would be converting
> > effects into real plugins...
>
>  I think this should be done before (ok, or maybe rather together), so that
> it can be seen how it fits to the loading done. This is the "Effect API
> additions" thread from January, right?

Yep.

> The supported() check and creating
> the config widget (which maybe should be a separate .so like it's with
> decorations)

I'm not sure about this. Most effects will likely have quite a few (if any)
configurable properties, so it might be easier to have everything in a single
file and class. Also, having them in a single class would likely mean having
just one method to load config, which IMHO would simplify things.

> maybe should be handled directly in GenericEffectFactory (or
> whatever will be responsible for finding and loading an effect) instead of
> having it in the class and would also avoid the init(), which looks a bit
> fragile and is against loading on-demand.

So the factory would also have  "QWidget* configWidget()"  and  "bool
supported()"  method in addition to the  create()? But how would those
functions be implemented? Is it ok to have the default implementation work
the same way (i.e. construct the effect, then call corresponding method) or
have you got some better ideas?

Anyway, I'll try to start on converting effects to plugins as you suggested
instead of committing this right now.

Rivo