List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Shadows
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-02-07 14:02:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 2/7/07, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking@web.de> wrote:

> Welcome to HELL =)

Yeah, it sounds fun... i hope for a solution better than beryl/compiz. their
work doesn't go well with animating windows, like the kicker tooltips
annimations -> when they come, the shadow is already painted, then the
animation goes over it. doesn't look good at all... yakuake doesn't look
very nice either.

 IMHO making the shadow translucent wouldn't look good in practice, Beryl
> has
> shadows really only around edges and I think a full-shaped shadow behind a
> window would make transparency much worse for all its practical uses. If
> going for a simple solution than just not having shadows at all for
> transparent windows might be better.

I think beryl DOES have shadows all the way, eg under the whole window, as
you can see with the kicker tooltips (beryl SVN)... having a translucent
shadow doesn't sound bad to me (but hey, who am i...).

grtz

jos/superstoned