List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Alt-tab (window switching) effects
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-01-29 20:45:49

Ühel kenal päeval (reede 24 november 2006) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 20:44, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > Should the OpenGL tabbox also be implemented
> > through Workspace (i.e. Workspace would call it's methods, like it does
> > with TabBox right now) or somehow separately? In case of the former,
> > maybe create a base TabBox class from which both OpenGL and non-OpenGL
> > implementations (and e.g. XRender one as well) could inherit. And then
> > object of the TabBoxOpenGL class could be stored in SceneOpenGL and
> > rendered when necessary.
>
>  Compiz has the switcher as yet another plugin. That however doesn't quite
> map to KWin as having it only as an effect would make it unavailable to
> non-composited case. I now see these ways:
>
> - Use your base class idea to implement various TabBox classes and have the
> composited ones as effects. The problems I see here are that these classes
> may possibly differ too much because of the way the non-composited TabBox
> works and the way effects are designed to work (although right now they
> aren't that extensively designed yet). It's also a question if the power
> I'm willing to give to effects would be sufficient to implement it that
> way.

Hi

I've thought about this a bit more lately and I've started to like the idea of
implementing Alt+tab (and possibly other "generic" effects) as an effect in
the compositing mode.
This way, we can by default ship with an alt-tab effect which looks similar to
that of the non-composited case. But if users want to, they can easily select
another alt-tab effect instead.
KWin core would then be resposible of only the non-composited effects. That
is, if compositing is on, it would just assume that there is an effect which
takes care of alt-tab.
This also fits with the minimize effect: in non-composited case KWin core
takes care of it itself. In composited case we have a real effect for that
(which looks similar to the non-composited one) and if the user doesn't like
it, he can (in the future) replace it with something better.

Rivo