List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: GetFBConfigs
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-01-27 19:20:56

On Saturday 27 January 2007 16:36, Rivo Laks wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev 27 jaanuar 2007) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> > On Saturday 27 January 2007 14:09, Rivo Laks wrote:
> > > Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev 27 jaanuar 2007) kirjutas Philip Falkner:
> > >
> > > Yeah, TFP works now! Thanks a lot!
> > > However, it often makes kwin crash when opening new window. Here's the
> > > end of the debug log:
> > >
> > > kwin: Activation,
> > > compared:KWinInternal::Client(0x83db148) :1671677425:1671675677:true
> > > kwin: <unknown>(0x1800d61): 184

 Try to pinpoint what triggers this, by surrounding blocks of code by "XSync(
dpy, False ); kdDebug() << "HERE" << endl;" combos. This looks like some X
error that leads to the problem below.

> > > kwin: [void KWinInternal::SceneOpenGL::Window::createVertexGrid(int,
> > > int)] 'Ark': Resized vertex grid from 0 quads (minreso: -1x-1) to 4
> > > quads (minreso: 0x0)
> > > kwin: <unknown>(0x1800e88): BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)

 I originally misread this one, I was getting BadMatch because of the
attributes passed to glXCreatePixmap(). This just looks like because of the
problem above glXCreatePixmap() doesn't get proper X pixmap.

> I don't see much of a difference between TFP and SHM here.
> Your problem is probably that GeForce 5xxx doesn't really support npot
> textures. To support OpenGL 2.0, the driver emulates them for such cards
> which is possibly where your slowdown comes from.

 Yes, that's it. RECTANGLE target is fine, 2D is slow.

> It would likely be a good idea to just check for ARB_npot extension and
> omit the GL 2.0 check when checking if npot textures are supported.

 Would it also make sense to just use the pot check and ignore the size? When
pot is not supported, would using 2D in the unlikely case of the window
having power-of-two sizes buy us anything compared to using RECTANGLE all the
time?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer