List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: GetFBConfigs
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-01-27 14:45:15

On Saturday 27 January 2007 01:25, Philip Falkner wrote:
> Largely lifted from compiz, here's some code which should select decent
> configs for both the buffer and the drawables.  It works here with all
> three modes, even though it chooses different configs than does current
> svn.

 The selection of configs it does here actually seems to be better than what
current svn chooses.

> From what I've gathered about nvidia/fglrx, this should work there
> too (fingers crossed).

 Seems to work fine here.

> It tries to get minimal stencil/depth buffers for the drawables, and
> maximal for the main buffer.  I'm not convinced about sorting by caveat; it
> works around a problem in fallback mode for me, but otherwise provides
> little/no benefit or disadvantage.

 Do you mean that sorting by caveat helps you with a problem or causes it? I'd
certainly prefer avoiding configs with caveats, as they are, well, caveats.

> Please test; I'm hoping this might get tfp working for you, Rivo.

- tfp_bind_to_rgba is per FBConfig, so I think it should not be just global.
Compiz has one setting per depth. The same actually should apply to
texture_y_inverted now that there are more than one config.

- I'm also not quite sure about using just one ctxdrawable. Compiz uses just
one because it uses only TFP, so it doesn't need more, and just because Beryl
uses just one with SHM doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. IIRC you added
the second context because there were some problems, but I don't remember the
details anymore and can't find the right mail. Or is this what the "this may
not work" debug is about?

- On the other hand, I'm unable to get config for any other depth than the
default and 32, with either nv or nvidia driver. Can you get more depths?

 The patch looks ok to me otherwise.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer