List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: kwin_composite on ati (xorg 7.1)
From:       Philip Falkner <philip.falkner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-21 19:55:27

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 10:21, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 09:05, Michael Thaler wrote:
> > > Due to a typo in the code it does not select TFP mode with Mesa libGL,
> > > it uses the SHM mode for you. I've fixed that already, you can try
> > > updating, then it may either work faster or it may not work at all (in
> > > which case you'll have to force SHM explicitly in kwinrc as I said in
> > > the svn commit
> >
> > log).
> >
> > OK, I just checked it out and compiled it. It seems to work, but I get
> > artifacts and once I move a window, the screen gets black and X (or maybe
> > even Linux?) crashes.
> >
> > This is with the open source r300 drivers and AIGLX enabled.
>
>  The radeon drivers reportedly don't support r300 that well yet. You'll
> have to force the SHM mode I guess.

I'm using r200 (Radeon 9000 AGP), and the only corruption I see is when moving
windows too far offscreen (see Re: partial repaints).  The only crashes I get
are when an indirect GL program gets run twice in a row; running a different
indirect program (say, glxgears) between kwin runs avoids the crashes.

> > > I know there are still some minor painting problems and the crash on
> > > exit. Somewhen somebody fixes it :).
> >
> > I am more concerned the "Ran out of GART memory" warning. I never saw
> > this before. It certainly does not happen with compiz or beryl or other
> > OpenGL apps.

Doesn't happen here at all.  Does changing GARTSize to, say, 64 have any
effect?  That is, is kwin simply being a little more greedy than compiz/beryl,
or massively more greedy?

--
Philip Falkner