List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compiz support for KWin!
From:       Taupter <taupter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-28 19:53:15

Em Sexta 28 Julho 2006 15:23, piotrek escreveu:
> That's my best idea EVER! :-)
>
> Would it be possible to add compiz effects plugins support to that new
> version of KWin? This way we would all be able to "share our creativity"
> :-) KDE will be able to load fancy-looking old and new plugins from Compiz
> community and Gnome users will be able to use plugins made by KDE users
> with their decorator too if they like it!
>
> What do you think guys?

Maybe it's not the best option. compiz uses lots of C code and it may not be
easily integrated with kwin. Making a proper plugin architecture with our own
API may be better integrated with the overall KDE.
Interfacing compiz code with KDE is not exactly a trivial task AFAICS and
would add more trouble than benefits. Some applications can behave erraticly
(see Kopete and adept-notifier as examples), and I'm not sure how thing like
Plasma would work with a lot of tweaking from our side of the fence :).
About code duplication, it's a moot point, cause we don't need to follow the
compiz way just for the sake of it. KDE as a whole brings lots of really good
applications who beat up "rival's". Multiple projects help to improve the
overall desktop ecosystem. :)

Cláudio

P.S.: Lubos, I'm back. :)