List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-07-14 22:47:51

On Saturday 15 July 2006 00:00, Matias Valdenegro T. wrote:
> El Friday, 14 de July de 2006 17:10, Lubos Lunak escribió:
> >  And dependency on something like Xgl? Why would Compiz otherwise require
> > it, after all. Moreover, in the worst case the XRender scene can be kept
> > completely separate, rather limited in functionality, and as such
> > relatively simple.
>
> I agree, but my point is with XRender, you can't get decent eyecandy and
> speed.

 Who cares. I myself am largely unimpressed by various eye-candy in general
including rotating cubes, exploding windows or water effects. I can however
see some value in transparency, Expose or thumbnails in general, zoom and
shadow, all of which is hopefully reasonably doable even with XRender. As
long as it seems to be not that difficult and worth doing it, why not do it?
Just forgetting about XRender one day would be nice, but I'm afraid that day
is not today nor tomorrow.

> Maybe putting priority of OpenGL over XRender should be acceptable.

 Indeed. These days require OpenGL to get the oooh reactions (ok, I'm being
sarcastic here, but that's actually really the way it is). XRender sucking
rather badly counts as another good reason. Since they both can be separate
they can both co-exist. And when writting the blog entry I was looking mainly
for OpenGL people, yes.

> BTW Lubos you're the only one working on KWin?

 KWin core - more or less yes :-/ . Kompmgr was done by Thomas Lübking and
there are several people doing decorations.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer