List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2006-07-14 20:54:54

Ühel kenal päeval (reede 14 juuli 2006 10:24 pm) kirjutas Thomas Lübking:
> Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 19:23 schrieb Matias Valdenegro T.:
> > I don't agree that Effects should work in all scenes, as OpenGL
> > compositing is very different in implementation and capabilities as
> > XRender compositing (See Shaders and GLSL).
>
> well, i do =)

I'd rather agree with Matias here: an effect/plugin/whatever should be able to
specify whether it supports XRender or OpenGL (or both) and also whether it
supports current system config (e.g. it might require newer opengl version).
For simple effects, such as specifying opacity for windows, backend
(XRender/OpenGL) doesn't matter, since you can just do something like
window.opacity = myvalue;  but once you get to more advanced stuff such as
using GLSL, it probably becomes quite difficult to support them both. In such
case, it might actually be easier to write different effects/plugins for
XRender and OpenGL.

> YES. XRender support is (currently more than) poor. Even nVidia's is broken
> on 7.1
> YES. XRender doesn't support shaders - but openGL < 2.0 (afaik) neither
> (you'd need to call some shader language. If i missed the part in the
> latter OpenGL API (i think the latest a took a look on was 1.3) -
> apologises, and please correct me)
> However,
> 1. OpenGL won't be /real/ fun before a X server on top of OpenGL (like EGL)
> is (commnly and fully) avaliable (or the texture from pixmap extension is
> übergood)

Why not? I tried out Xgl and Compiz and they were working quite nicely for me
(although I haven't tried coding with them).
Besides, if we had OpenGL support, then once such server becomes available, it
would already be supported.

BTW, what would I need to be able to work on KWin? I'd assume qt-copy and
kdelibs from trunk as well as the kwin_composite branch. What about kdebase?
Anything else?

Rivo