List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       "Matias Valdenegro T." <hunts () igloo ! cl>
Date:       2006-07-14 17:23:42

El Friday, 14 de July de 2006 10:46, Lubos Lunak escribió:
>  Hello. Ok, to whoever is interested:

Hello

> - Code doing effects should work with all scenes, at least for simple
> effects. Currently the code in effects.* get a transformation matrix and
> opacity value, both of which it can modify. Making an effect that makes the
> currently moved window transparent is very simple.

I don't agree that Effects should work in all scenes, as OpenGL compositing is
very different in implementation and capabilities as XRender compositing (See
Shaders and GLSL).

I think we should decide first if XRender should be supported by KWin's
Compositor, as is badly accelerated by current X.org drivers, and OpenGL
compositing is a lot faster and less limited.

The only problem i see by dropping XRender and supporting only OpenGL
compositing is the dependency on propietary drivers of video cards.

>  It kind of works for this simple case, but it's probably not good design
> for anything better. I don't know how to e.g. add shadows, because they're
> not transformations of the window but something added. As I said, this code
> can be simply dumped if it's too bad. Compiz seems to work by having a
> first pass that finds the final transformation and the second pass of
> painting seems to be actually done by the effects as well. I don't really
> understand that stuff.

As i understand, shadows are just an image that gets composited along the
window, producing a bigger image that gets composited to the desktop.

> - The plugins should do only effects and not add functionality like Compiz
> plugins. I don't think exposing all KWin internals to plugins and let them
> mess with it is a good idea.

What would be the difference between effects and functionality?

> PS: One more thing. I'll be on vacation for 10 days starting from this
> Monday, so while I'll try to watch this mailing list there may be delays.

Good luck on your vacations :)

I'm very interested in hacking KWin Compositor, expect work from me as soon as
i finish this semester (By end of the month) and i get a new video card
(Crappy SIS 6326).