List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/kwin
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-06-17 14:31:12

On Tuesday 14 of June 2005 14:58, Fred Emmott wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 13:20, you wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >  Hmm. I don't like it much, but I don't see any better choice. Could you
> > please test what some other window managers do? You can run e.g. Metacity
> > or FVWM temporarily in KDE using 'metacity --replace' and 'fvwm
> > -replace', you'll get KWin back using 'kwin --replace'.
>
> I don't like this much either :)
> Other WM's aren't as full featured - they act like KWin does with Xinerama
> Full Screen turned off. XFCE is an exception, which "JustWorks(tm)" in the
> way it's supposed to.

 I don't have Xinerama here, but from looking at the sources XFCE seems to
limit fullscreen windows to one Xinerama screen just like others.

> [snip]
>
> >  Given that your patch only changes the geometry of the fullscreen window
> > this seems very unlikely.
>
> Actually, the window decorations are sort-of a xine bug (which i've sent a
> patch to the developers for) - caused by a workaround required by earlier
> kwins. But the fullscreen only taking half the screen is a KWin bug.

 Not a bug. A feature. Asking the WM to show a window fullscreen means the
window will become fullscreen in whichever way the WM deems right. Your KWin
is configured to show fullscreen windows on one Xinerama screen, so it does.
Simple as that.

 Xine's idea of showing on Xinerama windows it wants kind of conflicts with
that (and BTW, your patch doesn't solve the case it selects something else
than one or all Xinerama screens together). And your patch has additionally
the problem that it doesn't allow KWin to fix the geometry for applications
that aren't Xinerama-aware (so they'll set their geometry to the full
rootwindow size, i.e. all Xinerama screens).

 I'll ask on the wm-spec list if somebody has an idea. Currently, the best
solution I can think of is adding a checkbox to window-specific settings that
will enable this feature and one will be able to activate it for Xine.

 And, thinking of that, what should this feature be _really_ good for? I mean,
I can hardly imagine anybody running Xine on Xinerama screens 1 and 3. Why
would anybody want to use other fullscreen window that just their usual
fullscreen window?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer