List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/kwin
From:       Fred Emmott <mail () fredemmott ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-14 12:58:16

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 13:20, you wrote:
[snip]

>  Hmm. I don't like it much, but I don't see any better choice. Could you
> please test what some other window managers do? You can run e.g. Metacity
> or FVWM temporarily in KDE using 'metacity --replace' and 'fvwm -replace',
> you'll get KWin back using 'kwin --replace'.

I don't like this much either :)
Other WM's aren't as full featured - they act like KWin does with Xinerama
Full Screen turned off. XFCE is an exception, which "JustWorks(tm)" in the
way it's supposed to.

[snip]

>  Given that your patch only changes the geometry of the fullscreen window
> this seems very unlikely.

Actually, the window decorations are sort-of a xine bug (which i've sent a
patch to the developers for) - caused by a workaround required by earlier
kwins. But the fullscreen only taking half the screen is a KWin bug.

> Actually, one more thing. Could you send me output of 'xprop' and 'xwininfo'
> for the xine fullscreen window for both -f and -F? It seems here it doesn't
> use the normal fullscreen hint at all.

This is the work-around for earlier KWins which is actually incorrect
behaviour - it checks for kwin, for every other wm it uses it.

See xine-ui patch at http://fredemmott.co.uk/xinerama%20xine%20kde.txt - this
isn't a practical patch for xine as it breaks under earlier KWin's, but shows
the problem area.

Regards,

--
Fred Emmott