List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] Adapting kwin for security project?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-06-21 12:23:02

On Friday 18 of June 2004 23:01, aclong+kwin@ece.cmu.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering adapting kwin for a research project I am doing and I
> was hoping you could advise me about whether this is a good or bad
> idea, and if the former, what the best approach might be.
>
> Briefly, the research project (called Chameleon) is to improve desktop
> security by partitioning all data and applications into a handful of
> categories/roles (e.g., Vault, Testing, Communications, and System).
> The OS would then prevent apps running in one role from accessing data
> belonging to another role.
>
> I am starting a software prototype of this system and am considering
> using kwin as the basis for the trusted window manager component.  I
> need a customized window manager because it needs to show the user
> what role each window is running in (e.g., via a colored border and/or
> a label in the title bar).  It seemed to me that I might be able to do
> what I need with a new theme and have to touch the rest of kwin little
> or not at all.

 I think you should probably first try with one of those minimalistic window
managers like ratpoision or aewm, where you'll be able to focus on your task.
KWin is a rather complicated window manager code-wise, and you could spend a
lot of time just with KWin itself, instead with your task. I don't think that
just writing a new KWin decoration plugin would be enough for your needs
(although I have to admit I don't understand much how exactly your system
should work). IMHO first using some simple WM for testing would be easier for
you.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer