List:       kwin
Subject:    [Kwin] focus stealing prevention
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2003-05-26 15:46:59

Hello,

 in case there would be some insane ... er ... I mean brave souls willing to
try out kwin_iii, especially the brand new shiny focus stealing prevention
stuff, I really wouldn't mind few testers ;).

 First, how to build:
- You need to patch Qt. The three patches q* are for qt/kernel/. The patches
should apply to both Qt-3.1.2 and Qt-3.2b1, with the exception of the #2
snippet from qapplication_x11.cpp, where you should remove the Q_EXPORT's for
3.1.2. You don't need to rebuild whole Qt, you can change qapplication.h time
back to avoid full recompilation.
- You need fresh CVS, and uncomment the KWIN_FOCUS #define in netwm.h at the
bottom. You can also try applying the kcookiewin.cpp patch to
kdelibs/kioslave/http/kcookierjar for the cookies dialog.
- You need to patch kdebase/kicker with the kicker.patch.
- You need kwin_iii branch. Copy your kdebase/kwin directory as
kdebase/kwin_iii, and do "cvs up -rkwin_iii" . in it. Then you can build this
directory, and just "make install" in one or other kwin will install the
appropriate one.

 Note that kwin_iii has only Keramik enabled, so you should switch to it
before installing kwin_iii. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any serious
problems with kwin_iii, I normally use it when testing HEAD.

 The focus prevention stuff fixes things like BR#49042. Ideally, you should
never get activation of a new window if you're working with the active one.
If there will be new dialogs etc., they shouldn't get activated, but instead
their taskbar entry should blink. I've already given it a lot of testing, but
I'm quite sure somebody who doesn't have a clue about how it works will be
the right stress test for it ;). In case there are problems, you know where
to complain.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer