List:       kwin
Subject:    [Kwin] Re: Technical Review Request
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2003-05-14 19:27:23

On Wednesday 14 of May 2003 20:33, Jean-Pierre Parent wrote:
> On May 14, 2003 2:12 am, David Johnson wrote:
> > kde-look is requesting updated HOWTOs for theming. I've just finished a
> > first draft of an article and example code for making a native Kwin
> > theme. This goes into more detail that Rikkus' earlier HOWTO.

mostly bugreports, but at least other mails won't get easily overlooked like
here). Please send the HOWTO also there.

> I've heard there could be a change in the KWin native theme API for KDE
> 3.2. Is this the updated version for the upcoming KDE 3.2 or not?

 Yes, this is true, KWin for KDE3.2 won't work with old style plugins. No,
this HOWTO can't be for this new API, because nobody really knows the API yet
(perhaps not even Karol Szwed, who's working on it). I've personally seen
only drafts of it, and I don't have any estimate when it will be at least
somewhat ready (I personally actually don't do the style plugins themselves,
only the core). But the changes required for the new API should only affect
the way the style plugin communicates with KWin core, so updating the style
plugins shouldn't be that complicated.

 The main reason for new API is that the old one probably was never really
meant to be stable public API, it only eventually ... ehm ... happened to
look like one. The styles were very tighly coupled with KWin core, and the
old API was making certain changes very complicated, or even impossible to do
without breaking the API. Since KWin is now being cleaned up/partially
rewritten/whatever in the kwin_iii branch, before starting we decided to drop
the old API, and create new one that would be more flexible.

--
Lubos Lunak (KWin maintainer)
KDE developer