List:       kvm-ppc
Subject:    Re: [kvm-ppc-devel] [kvm-devel] Top level
From:       Jerone Young <jyoung5 () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2008-02-28 20:28:52

So I forgot to CC all the interested parties on this list (sorry about
that I wasn't thinking at the time), but I did start up a conversation
on linuxppc-dev on the subject of splitting out libfdt from dtc. Mainly
to get the thought of what the dtc folks thought about splitting out
libfdt.

The outcome of this discussion is the point of libfdt is to be
integrated into different projects. I could not make a good argument at
all as to why it should be split out (actually I did a terrible job at
it :-)). A good analogy was made also as this is "equivalent to
splitting libcrypto out of openssl".

So the concessious from others in the libfdt community is the it should
go in the project. This would be in line with what Hollis has been
saying on the list.

Now for us we can do one of the following options:
1) Integrate libfdt into our kvm-userspace
   or qemu (which would then require going upstream qemu folks also agree).

2) Can use wget or something to first grab the dtc source and get libfdt
from it. Then place in our make file and build it. As well as point
cflags & ldflags to it. (This can be done, though I wanted to avoid
going this route)

Here is a link to the discussion on linuxppc-dev:
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-February/052262.html