List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    K750i SMS push registry problem on some SIMs
From:       Eric Donovan <eric () IXPOCKET ! COM>
Date:       2005-10-27 19:59:47

Haven't seen any threads here on this so I just thought I'd detail my
findings as it took me ages to realise what was going on.

Using the Sony Ericsson K750i's Push Registry to listen for incoming SMS
messages seems to only work with certain SIM cards. I know that sounds crazy
but all of our 'wake up' apps work fine with all SIMs on a Series 60 device,
and fine on a K750i but only with certain SIM cards. With certain other SIMs
the 'wake up' SMS messages never get to the app, they just go straight to
the inbox. It doesn't make a difference if you register in the .jad file or
at run time (where you get an IOException on trying to register for the
connection). I found someone else having the same problem on another forum
and together for UK SIMs we have:

Orange PAYG: OK,
Orange contract: OK,

Vodafone PAYG: OK,
Vodafone contract: NOT OK,

T-Mobile PAYG: NOT OK,
T-Mobile contract: NOT OK,

O2 (think it's contract): NOT OK,

The ports I have tested are: 16557, 16558, 16559. I Don't think that the
ports are taken already because as soon as you use an Orange SIM the problem
dissapears and the messages get straight to the app without arriving in the
inbox. The firmware for the K750i's I have is: (Firmware R1L002
prgCXC125952_EU_1_CL)

There's a thread open at Sony Ericsson at the moment, hopefully their
developers will come up with something:
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/show_thread.do?sortDirection=1&ps=50&threadid=20343&sortDirection=0&sortCol=null&forumId=10&readOnly=false

eric