List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: Do we need another J2ME profile?
From:       Marc Palmer <marc () ANYWARE ! CO ! UK>
Date:       2005-04-29 7:59:02

Java wrote:

> You're mistaken. Java-based handset are a reality now and have been for
> quite some time. The BlackBerry platform is the perfect example.
>
> <snip>
>
> OK, those are all very fine points, but you still need to address the
> main questions of my first post:
> -- how does it significantly increase the profit margin of a phone
> manufacturer?

Reduces development costs for enhancing and debugging UI and low level
issues etc.

Also, arguably (in our favour), it forces the manufacturer to eat what
they cook - so we might get VMs with less bugs in!

> -- how does it increase the ARPU of an operator?

1. One example, downloadable phone UI "skins". Themes.wallpaper on
steroids.

2. Increasing vastly the capabilities of downloadable java applications,
if extra APIs for phone interaction are exposed. Think a Java e-mail
client that automatically pops up showing you the last 3 emails from the
person who is calling you.

The operators are eager for Java applications that are not games, and
yet these applications are quite limited because of the restrictions of
CLDC.

--
Marc Palmer    wj5@wangjammers.org

Wangjammers - Java, J2ME and Web Consultants
   ~ http://www.wangjammers.org/