List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: Java phones in Europe
From:       Hathway Richard <RHathway () SENDO ! COM>
Date:       2002-04-29 16:05:30

Hi,

If you want to use a US SIM in a European phone, just make sure that you buy
a phone which
is NOT locked ["SIMlocked"] to a specific network ... otherwise your SIM
swap trick may not work.
Note however that unlocked handsets are unsubsidised and are therefore
expensive. Your call costs
using you US SIM might also be high.

It might be better & overall cheaper to buy a European J2ME phone complete
with matching pay-as-you go SIM card.
You can always sell the handset to a colleague/friend when you leave Europe

Richard