List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: tunneling TCP in HTTP
From:       Razvan Dragomirescu <drazvan () KAPPA ! RO>
Date:       2001-12-25 16:54:16

Well, I've already solved it. I was looking for a tunneling utility that
would allow two-way communication between midlets (or between a midlet and a
server). The utility would allow two entities (two midlets, two servers or a
server and a midlet) to communicate in both directions (it would support
push data from the server for instance) by using only simple HTTP calls.

Since I didn't get any responses from the list, I went ahead and wrote my
own. The utility I wrote can be called from both J2ME or J2SE. It provides
communication primitives similar to those in TCP (listen, accept, connect,
send data) and once a connection is established, it provides an input stream
and an output stream. Data written to the output stream of one end will show
up when reading from the input stream on the other end.

The utility can be used to allow computers behind firewalls (that only allow
outgoing HTTP traffic) to communicate bi-directionally to midlets (which are
inherently restricted to HTTP). I'm using it to allow computers behind
firewalls to be controlled remotely using my VNC viewer. It also enables me
to use HTTP on the midlet (instead of TCP client sockets).

Anyways, thanks for your time,
Everybody, have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Razvan

--