List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: retrieving properties
From:       John Butchart <John.Butchart () ONE2ONE ! CO ! UK>
Date:       2001-08-31 9:17:29

Peter,

(1) See the MIDP spec section 4.2: system properties. microedition.profiles
must contain at least MIDP-1.0. Is that what you mean by platform? Also a
lot of device capabilities like the screen size, support for colour, touch
screen are available to midlets, so you can use them to make an application
adaptable.
(2) Beyond that, isn't your motivation - the application could reconfigure
itself for the particular handset it was running on - rather questionable?
Building complete device configurability into the client application will
surely make it bigger and isn't necessary. The client should identify itself
in the User-Agent header (device/version) when requesting the JAD. See
section A.10 Device Identification and Request Headers in the OTA
Recommended Practice. As A.10 says: "Servers SHOULD use this additional
information to select the appropriate application descriptor for the
device." Yes, the server will need a database of device capabilities and can
either serve different versions of the application or apply a configuration
to the application before sending it.

Regards,

John