List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Precompiile to PRC/EXE like TowerJ?
From:       Brien Voorhees <brien.voorhees () INVEST ! COM>
Date:       1999-11-30 23:16:15

I was just wondering if any work was being done on compiling KVM programs to \
standalone executables(.PRC's).  I just recently started experimenting with KVM and \
wrote a little test app that gets stock quotes and I must say it's bloody cool to be \
able to run Java on the Palm.  I'm very concerned, however, with the size of my app, \
including the KVM.  On my PalmPilot it takes 166k for the KVM plus 7k for my app.

I would really love to see a method for compiling to a standalone PRC that would \
leave out any unused classes and also, hopefully, start up faster.  Another benefit \
of this approach is that future incompatible releases of the KVM won't break my \
distributed app.

Brien Voorhees