List:       kvm
Subject:    Re: KVM in HA active/active + fault-tolerant configuration
From:       Brian Jackson <iggy () theiggy ! com>
Date:       2013-08-21 21:47:29

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:49:09 PM CDT, g.danti@assyoma.it wrote:
> On 2013-08-21 21:40, Brian Jackson wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:02:31 AM CDT,
> > g.danti@assyoma.it wrote: ...
>
> Hi Brian,
> thank you for your reply.
>
> As I googled extensively without finding anything, I was
> prepared to a similar response.
>
> Anyway, from what I understand, Qemu already use a similar
> approach (tracking dirty memory pages) when live migrating
> virtual machines to another host.
>
> So what is missing is the "glue code" between Qemu and
> KVM/libvirt stack, right?

Live migration isn't what you asked about (at least not from what I understood). Live \
migration is just moving a VM from one host to another. That is definitely supported \
by libvirt. Having a constantly running lock-step sync of guest state is what \
Qemu/KVM does not support. So with Qemu's current live migration abilities, if HostA \
dies, all it's guests will have downtime while they are restarted on other hosts.