List:       kvm
Subject:    Re: kvm tuning guide
From:       Christoph Hellwig <hch () infradead ! org>
Date:       2009-09-30 16:03:23

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 08:20:35AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 09/30/2009 07:09 AM, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> > "The default, IDE, is highly supported by guests but may be slow, especially with \
> > disk arrays. If your guest supports it, use the virtio interface:" Avi,
> > what is the status of data integrity issues Chris Hellwig summarized some time \
> > ago?
>
> I don't know.  Christoph?

On the qemu side everything is in git HEAD now, but I'm not sure about
the qemu-0.11 release as I haven't really followed it.

For the guest kernel the virtio cache flush support is now in mainline
(past-2.6.31).  For the host kernel side about 2/3 of the fixes are now
in mainline (past-2.6.31) with the others hopefully getting in this
merge window.

> > Is it safe to recommend virtio to newbies already?
>
> I think so.

I wouldn't.  At least not for people caring about their data.  It will
take a while to promote the guest side fixes to all the interesting
guests.  IDE has the major advantage that cache flush support has been
around in the guest driver for a long time so we only need to fix the
host side which is a lot easier.