List:       kupu-dev
Subject:    Re: [kupu-dev] The "Undo" and "Redo" button...
From:       Johnny deBris <johnny () debris ! demon ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-02 21:10:43

Geoffroy O'Donoughue wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I install the kupu version 1.03, 1.1beta1 and 1.1beta2. The button
> "Undo" and "Redo" don't work in Microsoft IE 6 (IE 6.0.2800.1106 on
> win4lin::win98 and IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 on winXp). There
> is a patch or something else to resolve this problem ?

Do the buttons work if you just type text? They do seem to work for me
(IE 6.0.2800.1106 on Wine) but only for typed text and simple markup,
not for for instance tables.
The problem is the following: the 'undo' and 'redo' functionality Kupu
uses is part of what is called 'ContentEditable' in IE and 'Midas' in
Mozilla, a special feature to build WYSIWYG editors. Those functions can
only undo actions performed with a special command, execCommand, that is
used to make words bold and underlined and such. However, since the
functionality of execCommand is quite limited, it can not do tables for
instance, we use other functions to build elements that can not be
created that way. Those actions are not stored in the
ContentEditable/Midas undo buffer and therefore as soon as you perform
such an action the undo functionality will be messed up.
I hope in the future at some point we can drop execCommand in favor of
performing all the actions using DOM functionality (so manually adding
all behaviour) but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen soon. For
now perhaps we should just drop the undo behaviour (maybe in favor of a
1-step undo or so?)...
BTW if the button doesn't do *anything*, not even removing some typed
text, please let me know, then you did find a bug that I can't reproduce ;)

Cheers,

Guido