List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Project: Collaborative editing
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-30 3:42:14

On Thursday 29 May 2008 19:47:06 Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 03:26:58 pm Greg Haynes wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am developing a KTextEditor plugin this summer for the Summer of Code
> > and thought I would introduce myself and my project.  I am a freshman CS
> > student in Portland, Oregon.  Until recently most of my programming
> > experience lied in linux C server applications, but lately I have become
> > very interested in developing Qt applications.  My project is a great
> > bridge between the two, and hopefully a great entry point for myself into
> > the KDE community.
> >
> > The plugin I am developing will provide collaborative editing support,
> > and allow users to share and modify remote document(s) without having to
> > leave their editor.  The infinote library will be used to handle all the
> > grunt work, and my main goal will be to connect the TextBuffer interface
> > the library provides with KTextEditor, as well as developing the
> > necessary control dialogs for the plugin.
> >
> > I hope to implement a fairly rich set of features into this plugin, and
> > any advice on what I should be considering, possible blocks, or anything
> > helpful would be greatly appreciated.  Here are some of the non-standard
> > features I plan on implementing:
> >
> > * Sharing of document trees
> > * Connecting to remote shares via config dialog
> > * Browsing remote shares via config dialog
> > * Pulling undo operations from the library
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice, and happy coding!
>
> Have you seen the Teamwork plugin for kdevelop (in kdevplatform)?  It
> performs similar actions, only it is designed to work in kdevelop (which
> uses katepart).  Perhaps it could give you some inspiration, or maybe it
> could be adapted and used in katepart or kate.  The author (in the headers)
> might also have some suggestions for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Hamish.

About the only thing I would do with that is use it for inspiration of how not
to do it. I'd suggest you go with something a bit more standard like the use
of jabber for your communication protocol. It's not that it's a bad plugin,
but it uses some very esoteric things and is quite complicated, and I'm not
really sure all of that is needed.
--
Matt