List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion-Interface
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2008-04-19 20:58:40

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.04.08 20:44:42, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Friday 18 April 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Thats wrong, it puts in a bunch of things that can be used for
> > > completion of a couple of languages and even non-code completion.
> >
> > But the implementation ASSUMES that the client needs a lot of stuff that
> > is useless in more cases than useful.
> >
> > Requirements:
> > * the list can not be a dialog. put your configuration buttons in the
> > configuration dialog
>
> Yes, the ui is too complex. While its cool that we can provide all that
> information I really think that when you want some completion you only
> want to be able to pick the right entry, which means having the basic
> needed information - for C++ thats the signature of the function or the
> type and similar. For a code-snippet its probably the first n characters
> of the text.

You think too complex. Think of simple usage like completing words (the word
completion plugin) or for example XML attributes, there are ONLY words.

> > * Do not show empty widgets: NEVER display empty columns, NEVER display
> > unnamed groups!
>
> I'm not even sure how to create unnamed groups right now, but not
> providing any group name works fine. About the empty columns I don't
> know. So far I didn't yet see an empty completion widget.

I don't want groups at all. In simple usage there is no group. You FORCE that
damned thing on us. the requirement is DO NOT DO THAT.

Empty columns is the space right and left of the completion text in simple use
(word completion plugin). That doesn't provide anything but the text to
complete, and there should be no space in the list to the left or right of
the text. There is. Again, that is undesirable, it's something that kdevelop
uses maybe, but it should be HIDDEN UNLESS USED.

--
Anders

www: http://www.alweb.dk
jabber: anderslund@jabber.dk