List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion-Interface
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2008-04-18 9:56:00

On Friday 18 April 2008 11:02:24 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> So basically your problem is that you (you as in kate devs) didn't write
> the code and don't want to maintain it? I can understand that, so maybe
> an even more stripped down interface would be good, which allows an
> application to do _everything_ - including the view - itself? Then you
> basically don't have to maintain any code.
>
> BTW: Writing a simple completion model is really not a problem with the
> current interface. It takes like 30 minutes without any idea about the
> API. You just have to re-implement 2 methods and hook the model instance
> to the view. Attached is the snippet-model as an example which uses a
> plain list of snippets to provide completion.
I think, if the current implementation of the interface can be improved, that
some aspects go out of katepart, like the different filters and so on, I can
live with it. I just dislike this massive amount of code which really is bit
bloated to even just merge multiple models to one.

Looking at your code snippet, perhaps our wordcompletion plugin is missing
something that it works that bad atm, will try this out on the weekend.

What makes me dislike the current stuff is the complexity the current model
includes, which merges the multiple models provided by the app. It's real
awful to look at and it's hard to tackle down any problem (like the
reoccuring of the popup I had on the sprint, which was easy to fix but hard
to understand)

cu
Christoph

--