List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion-Interface
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2008-04-18 8:35:39

On Friday 18 April 2008 09:55:49 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at the kate sprint, we looked at the completion interface. We think, to
> > be maintainable, it must be redone.
> >
> > The current way locks a whole row of C++ specific stuff into the part. In
> > our view (from the devs at the sprint), as much easier interface would be
> > sufficient, which allows the handling of only one model per view but
> > moves the whole logic to the user of the interface.
> >
> > My sketch would be:
> >
> > 1. new interface which allows only to register one completion model for a
> > view 2. in addition, a delegate should be registered, to allow the app to
> > handle the displaying
> >
> > That way, the whole filtering and sorting can be implemented in the app
> > and the interface + implementation is small. The current >> 3000 lines of
> > code are not acceptable for show a such simple thingy.
> >
> > cu
> > Christoph
>
> One question: Why only one model? AFAICS there is no reason for that.
Because the views can't merge that, then again, we need to merge them on our
own, which is tricky, as for example you want different delegates for
different models and so on. The question is, where is the benefit of
multiple. for KDevelop for example they will have no benefit in having our
wordcompletions merged into their list, they would rather not want this.

cu
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann@AbsInt.com