List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Horizontal view, SoC draft
From:       "Matej Svejda" <matej.svejda () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-19 16:20:32

Hi!

I'm sure you guys know that Google SoC is just around the corner. I'd
like to take that opportunity to implement an idea that has been
floating around in my head for a while now. Probably it has already
been implemented somewhere, a quick search on the Internet didn't show
up anything though.

My idea is a horizontal view for text-editing. Whats that? Well, let
me explain... During the last couple of years 16:10 monitors have
become kind-of standard, especially in notebooks. While it makes sense
on some levels (human sight has roughly the same format, at least I
read so on the Internet) and smaller black stripes when watching
movies, it sucks for coding. A lot of projects have coding guidelines
where the max line-length is 80 chars. But even without coding
guidelines most lines of code don't take up a lot of horizontal space.
The result of this is a big, fat unused area of screen-space on the
right-hand side of the text-editor window. This is where my idea kicks
in it. I'd like to implement the ability to have multiple vertical
boxes stacked next to each other (horizontally) with the text flowing
through them when scrolling in KatePart. I made a mockup [1],
hopefully it can help to explain what I'm talking about. The idea
would be to have as many as the user wants (2 make sense with a
resolution of 1280x800, but with a resolution of 1680x1050 3 could be
used).

I have moderate C++/Qt coding skills (PHP has been the language I
wrote most software in so-far). This metronome [2] and this runner [3]
have been written by me.

So...
   What do you guys think of my idea? Is it doable? Is too easy/hard
for a SoC project?
   What part of the Kate-Part source code should I have a look at?

Cheers,
Matej

[1] http://www.aw-modell.at/mata/mockup.png
[2] http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Destick?content=47576