List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC proposal: "Kobby"
From:       "Andreas Ramm" <psychobrain () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-03-22 4:57:25

> On Friday 21 March 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> > I'm interested in applying for one of the suggested GSoC projects: a
> > KTextEditor plugin for Infinote, the replacement for Gobby.
> >
> > This list seemed the most related one for this proposal.  I've also
> > included Andreas Ramm in the email, as he was suggested as the mentor
> for
> > the project on the ideas page.
>
> Redirecting to ktexteditor-devel@ ;)
>
> > Included below is what I've come up with for my application.  It's a
> little
> > over the character limit for the synopsis for the application form, but
> > would put this in a PDF file and link to it from my application.
> >
> > Any comments/criticisms/advice would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > Kobby - Alex Merry
> >
> > Collaborative editing is very useful, particularly in the
> > open source community where the people involved may be
> > spread across countries and continents.  A discussion held
> > over IRC or Jabber can often be greatly enhanced if the
> > participants are able to edit, in real time, a related
> > document or even simply a meeting report.

This is a good overview of the benefits. Maybe you could add why it is important to \
you as well in a sentence or too.

> > A common open source application used for this currently is
> > Gobby, which uses the obby library as its backend.  The
> > successor to Gobby will be Infinote.  A working (although
> > not yet complete) library exists for this.  This is split
> > so that the core functionality is separate from the GTK+
> > integration.
> >
> > The goal of this GSoC project would be to implement a
> > KTextEditor::Plugin that would provide collaborative text
> > editing to any application that can use a KatePart, such
> > as KWrite, Kate, Kile or KDevelop.
> >
> > The structure of libinfinity lends itself to this integration.
> > It provides a core library (libinfinote) and a text note
> > plugin (libinfinote could be used to power other forms
> > of collaborative editing, such as SVG editing).  There are
> > also libraries providing GTK+ integration - libinfgtk provides
> > integration of libinfinote into the GLib loop as well as
> > related GTK+ widgets, and libinftextgtk provides a GTK+
> > text buffer.
> >
> > This project has the chance to provide great benefit to KDE,
> > allowing its users to concurrently edit a text document in
> > real time with each other and with GNOME or other users
> > (when the main Infinote client and/or GEdit integration is
> > complete).
> >

> > Tasks:
> >
> > 1. Qt Integration
> >
> > A KDE-equivalent of the libinfgtk library would be needed,
> > providing a Qt/KDE-style C++ API for libinfinote, including
> > providing the relevant widgets.

Can you give examples of the relevant widgets?

> > 2. InfTextBuffer Implementation
> >
> > The InfTextBuffer interface is used to store the text
> > for the document being edited by libinftext.  It is
> > necessary to implement it and provide a backend, which
> > should be a Qt or Qt-style class.
> >
> > A possibility for this is QTextDocument, which can store
> > information such as text colour.
>
> Can't we implement this as a KTE interface, and use KateParts storage as
> implementation as far as KatePart is concerned? Forgive me if I
> misunderstand
> teh purpose, as I have no idea how infinote works.

I would put this one down as a point for investigation with a need for further \
discussion.

> > 3. KTextEditor Plugin
> >
> > The above libraries can then be used by a plugin that
> > provides the KTextEditor::Document interface.  This should
> > obviously provide the expected colourisation of text
> > depending on the user that wrote it, but also needs to
> > provide various other features such as an interface for
> > connecting, an interface for messaging other collaborators
> > and a legend for the colours belonging to the participants.

The list of associated features is good, but why is colourisation obvious? You might \
want to try rewording that part.

> > Time:
> >
> > A certain amount of time needs to be spent becoming familiar
> > with libinfinote and related libraries, which is written in an
> > unfamiliar style (it is GLib/GObject based), although it is
> > documented.
> >
> > I would expect to spend the majority of the time on the
> > KDE interface to libinfinote, as most of the widgets
> > will be included here.
> >
> > The remainder of the time would be split between providing
> > the implementation of InfTextBuffer and wrapping it up
> > into a KTextEditor plugin.
> >

> > Biography:
> >
> > I am in my fourth year of my undergraduate masters in
> > Mathematics and Computer Science.  I got involved with the
> > KDE project at the start of 2007, learning C++ and Qt to
> > do so.  I started doing various junior jobs in the core
> > KDE libraries, and then got involed in Plasma development
> > when it kicked off later that year.
> >
> > My biggest programming projects to date have both involved
> > Qt: the nowplaying data engine and applet for Plasma and
> > my final year project for my degree course.
> >
> > I can generally be found on #kde-devel and #plasma as
> > randomguy3.

Nice work. Overall it reads very well. Just a general piece of advice, before you \
submit have another read to make sure it includes everything you want it to, as a \
review won't be able to pick that up. :)

Andreas

--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free