List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: KTextEditor API + KDE 4.0
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2007-05-29 8:03:23

Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Friday 25 May 2007 19:30:51 Philippe Fremy wrote:
>> Creating/deleting views and documents is also an action that a script
>> might be willing to do. From my point of view, it would constitute a
>> valid addition to KTE. Probably two signals would suffice, viewDeleted(
>> View * ) and documentDeleted( Doc * ).
> The question is, how should the host applications deal with that? Should they
> just integrate the new document/views into there handling?

They should integrate is in whatever container they use to manage the
views. The active container should be chosen.

How does it work at the moment ? The views are created outside kte and
then "added" to kte ?

The real trouble is if we have applications that can only support one
view. In that case, some kind of mecanism to inform kte that the view
could not be created would be necessary.

>> Another thing that bumps into my mind: scripting. I think that you
>> should prepare a scripting extension. Or this can be done with plugin
>> already ?
> Which kinf of scripting extension is in your mind? How should it look like?
> A simple api to execute some string as script or more complex managing?

I have no idea at this point. I think it could be integrated later on
anyway with a proper extension. So, let's focus on things I have a small
clue about.

>> I am a lot in favor of it, and I would support actively somebody doing
>> it. But I can not do it myself. I am lacking time and ability to run KDE .
>>
> Too bad...

I am not going to throw the towel that easily. Yzis kpart is the most
wanted feature of the world. I'll find a way to make it happen. I have
somebody that is ready to help already.

Now, KDE development has always been awful in my experience (that's why
I wrote the developer faq). I think that the situation has improved a
lot with cmake but I'll probably need a bit of support here to get
things into shape.

	regards,

	Philippe