List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: KTextEditor API + KDE 4.0
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2007-05-25 17:30:51

	Hi Cristoph,

I did a quick review of the KTextEditor interface.

First of all, congratulation. The interface looks very clean and is
thoroughly documented.

The quick review revealed very few problems. The main problem is that a
vi-like editor can do a few things that are not taken into account by
the kte:
- it can delete views
- it can delete documents

Yzis can also create views and documents on its own, but the signals
exists already so this should be no problem.

Creating/deleting views and documents is also an action that a script
might be willing to do. From my point of view, it would constitute a
valid addition to KTE. Probably two signals would suffice, viewDeleted(
View * ) and documentDeleted( Doc * ).

Another glitch that comes to my mind is mapping. Yzis can map any key
combination (in theory, it is still buggy around the edge today). So, if
an yzis map is the same as a menu shortcut, which one takes over ?

Small note when reading the doc: if SmartCursor can not be copied, why
not prevent it in the copy constructor ? Or at least put a warning in
the copy constructor when the cursor is a smart cursor.

Another thing that bumps into my mind: scripting. I think that you
should prepare a scripting extension. Or this can be done with plugin
already ?

Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Last year or so, there was therefor some interest
> shown in throwing kyzis away and instead helping on enhancing Kate itself as
> shell for the yzis kpart, is that still valid?

I think that would be very welcome. The interface of KTE looks very
clean, and it would be an opportunity to review Yzis architecture and
improve it. It would also make Yzis a lot more popular by providing it
under KDE. It would also extensively test Yzis, by approaching it from a
differnt API.

I am a lot in favor of it, and I would support actively somebody doing
it. But I can not do it myself. I am lacking time and ability to run KDE .

	regards,

	Philippe