List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: question about EditInterface
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-05-13 17:20:51

> This text is barely understandable to me. Could you please try and rephrase
> it or clearify it for silly me?

Sure, it is late here and I am not a native speaker so here the second try:

1. A text document from the user perspective has lines and columns. So it is
two dimensional.

2. A text document from my, the developers, perspective is a string. A string
is one dimensional.

My problem is how to describe a selection in a textdocument. In Quanta we need
to save two coordinates for a selection, each coordinate with line/column.

Actually the document is a string and a selection can be more easily described
by an offset and a length in the string.

I could not find functions to convert from one representation into the other.
So I would like to have converter for the two representations. This can not
be very hard because Kate must do this already, it is just not public
available.

Jens