List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    Re: Interoperability proposal
From:       Ed Lee <ed () thefamilee ! co ! uk>
Date:       2024-02-23 8:50:39

Hi Wolfgang,

Some more details regarding the second idea...

In FireCapture, the imaging camera is handled directly for maximum
throughput. Other equipment must be connected via INDI (or ASCOM). The
other equipment in this case can be mount, filter wheel and focuser.
There is no need, from FireCapture's perspective, for KStars/Ekos, only
INDI. So it's possible, but clunky, to launch an INDI server handling
all the kit from the command line before starting FireCapture.

My current preferred workflow for a planetary capture is:

  * Start KStars/Ekos
  * Polar align using Ekos plate solving
  * Train a quick mount model using Ekos plate solving
  * Rough focus in Ekos (I'm manually focussing with a Bahtinov mask)
  * Slew to planetary target in KStars
      o In INDI control panel, disconnect imaging camera
      o Launch FireCapture from the Desktop
  * In FireCapture, connect to INDI, focus, adjust settings, capture,
    close FireCapture
      o In INDI control panel, reconnect imaging camera (if attempting
        another target in the session).

So I'm using KStars/Ekos for setup and INDI server management, and
FireCapture for capture and guiding. When FireCapture is active it's
vital that KStars/Ekos is in an idle state, so in this case the button
would only be active when the scheduler is not running, guiding is not
active and no capture job is running. The plugin would just handle the
three indented actions above. I wouldn't intend to manage the capture
session in any way (guiding/focus/flip), that's the job of the capture
control system - in my case FireCapture.

Hope that helps in understanding my intent?

Kind regards

Ed

On 22/02/2024 22:27, Wolfgang Reissenberger wrote:
> Dear Ed,
> very interesting ideas!
>
> The first idea should be feasible.
>
> Regarding the idea interacting with FireCapture I'm not sure if I
> understand the intention behind. Is there the idea to use KStars for
> positioning the scope to the target, but then switching (at least
> capturing) to FireCapture? Should guiding continue running for
> example? What about meridian flip? Or Refocusing? There are many
> features of other modules that lead to interaction with the Capture
> module.
>
> Cheers
> Wolfgang
>
>> Am 21.02.2024 um 15:50 schrieb Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja@ikarustech.com>:
>>
>> Hello Ed,
>>
>> That's a great idea. Perhaps something like "Plugins" that could be
>> used to add extra functionality? KStars can be scripted by DBus
>> though the documentation & level of support for this can be improved.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Jasem Mutlaq
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 5:35 PM Ed Lee <ed@thefamilee.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     Although KStars is growing ever more capable there are other
>>     programs that I like to use in conjunction, mostly for convenience.
>>
>>     It occurs to me that my workflow could be made easier and the
>>     system capabilities extended by providing a generalised means to
>>     call other programs from within KStars/Ekos. At present there is
>>     already a specific occurrence of this where the scheduler can
>>     call start up / shut down scripts.
>>
>>     Two examples of how I would like to use a generalised call:
>>
>>       * Add a button to the Capture module that launches an external
>>         live stacking application (for example Siril), pass it the
>>         necessary commands to start receiving images from the current
>>         selected camera, and then start repeating captures. Stop
>>         capturing when the external process closes.
>>       * Add a button to the Capture module that disconnects the
>>         current selected camera from the INDI server and then
>>         launches FireCapture for planetary imaging. Reconnect the
>>         camera when the external process closes.
>>
>>     Abstracting the external program calls via scripts would allow
>>     user customisation and avoid any dependencies on / promotion of
>>     specific software. Sample scripts could be provided. It may also
>>     make the implementation simpler - an abstraction of the current
>>     scheduler script processing with additional control processes
>>     within KStars.
>>
>>     Before I start working on this I wanted to ask for any thoughts
>>     on this proposal, both regarding the implementation and also
>>     whether this would be perceived an acceptable route for KStars.
>>
>>     Kind Regards
>>
>>     Ed Lee

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      Some more details regarding the second idea...<br>
      In FireCapture, the imaging camera is handled directly for maximum
      throughput. Other equipment must be connected via INDI (or ASCOM).
      The other equipment in this case can be mount, filter wheel and
      focuser. There is no need, from FireCapture's perspective, for
      KStars/Ekos, only INDI. So it's possible, but clunky, to launch an
      INDI server handling all the kit from the command line before
      starting FireCapture. <br>
      My current preferred workflow for a planetary capture is:<br>
    <ul>
      <li><font face="Arial">Train a quick mount model using Ekos plate
          solving</font></li>
      <li><font face="Arial">Rough focus in Ekos (I'm manually focussing
          with a Bahtinov mask)</font></li>
      <ul>
        <li><font face="Arial">In INDI control panel, disconnect imaging
            camera</font></li>
      </ul>
      <li><font face="Arial">In FireCapture, connect to INDI, focus,
          adjust settings, capture, close FireCapture</font></li>
      <ul>
        <li><font face="Arial">In INDI control panel, reconnect imaging
            camera (if attempting another target in the session).</font></li>
      </ul>
    </ul>
        server management, and FireCapture for capture and guiding. When
        FireCapture is active it's vital that KStars/Ekos is in an idle
        state, so in this case the button would only be active when the
        scheduler is not running, guiding is not active and no capture
        job is running.</font> The plugin would just handle the three
      indented actions above. I wouldn't intend to manage the capture
      session in any way (guiding/focus/flip), that's the job of the
      capture control system - in my case FireCapture.<br>
      Reissenberger wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:EAB7C3FB-E763-4EEC-AFA7-750B25B4674B@openfuture.de">
      Dear Ed,
        if I understand the intention behind. Is there the idea to use
        KStars for positioning the scope to the target, but then
        switching (at least capturing) to FireCapture? Should guiding
        continue running for example? What about meridian flip? Or
        Refocusing? There are many features of other modules that lead
        to interaction with the Capture module.</div>
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:mutlaqja@ikarustech.com">&lt;mutlaqja@ikarustech.com&gt;</a>:</div>  <br \
class="Apple-interchange-newline">  <div>
                  "Plugins" that could be used to add extra
                  functionality? KStars can be scripted by DBus though
                  the documentation &amp; level of support for this can
                  be improved.  </div>
                      data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
                              Jasem Mutlaq<br>
                  at 5:35 PM Ed Lee &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:ed@thefamilee.co.uk"
                    moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">ed@thefamilee.co.uk</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      Although KStars is growing ever more capable there
                      are other programs that I like to use in
                      conjunction, mostly for convenience.<br>
                      It occurs to me that my workflow could be made
                      easier and the system capabilities extended by
                      providing a generalised means to call other
                      programs from within KStars/Ekos. At present there
                      is already a specific occurrence of this where the
                      scheduler can call start up / shut down scripts. <br>
                      Two examples of how I would like to use a
                      generalised call:<br>
                    <ul>
                      <li><font face="Arial">Add a button to the Capture
                          module that launches an external live stacking
                          application (for example Siril), pass it the
                          necessary commands to start receiving images
                          from the current selected camera, and then
                          start repeating captures. Stop capturing when
                          the external process closes.<br>
                      <li><font face="Arial">Add a button to the Capture
                          module that disconnects the current selected
                          camera from the INDI server and then launches
                          FireCapture for planetary imaging. Reconnect
                          the camera when the external process closes.</font></li>
                    </ul>
                        program calls via scripts would allow user
                        customisation and avoid any dependencies on /
                        promotion of specific software. Sample scripts
                        could be provided. It may also make the
                        implementation simpler - an abstraction of the
                        current scheduler script processing with
                        additional control processes within KStars.</font></p>
                        I wanted to ask for any thoughts on this
                        proposal, both regarding the implementation and
                        also whether this would be perceived an
                        acceptable route for KStars.</font></p>