List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    Re: Problems with KStars 3.5.7 on macOS
From:       Robert Lancaster <rlancaste () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-06 2:04:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the report.  Ok for the issue that you identified that I was able to \
address, I think this should take care of it at least for now, which is the Help \
button.  The issue appears to be that for some reason KHelpClient is not working \
properly on MacOS, which is another underlying package over which we have no control. \
I was able to confirm your error and I found that every instance where it was \
accessed the same problem occurred.  I don't know why this is, but based on what I \
observed from some testing I just did on Linux to see what it is supposed to do, the \
only thing this button is supposed to do is bring up the KStars Handbook online.  \
This is not very hard to do with other tools that we have in KStars, so I think the \
best solution is just to access it using one of the other tools.  So I did a little \
work and this should fix the issue on MacOS while leaving the other distributions \
unchanged.  I will wait to see if it causes any other issues on other systems, but it \
should not.

https://invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/561/diffs \
<https://invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/561/diffs>

Thank you for your feedback and helping us to improve KStars.

As Akarsh pointed out, we do tend to spend all of our time in Ekos doing \
astrophotography work, and the planetarium program part is often neglected.  Yes, \
perhaps this should be addressed, but since most of the users and the developers are \
astrophotographers, Ekos tends to get all the love.  Hopefully we can address that \
better.

Thanks,

Rob