List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    KStars issues on OSX
From:       Marco Gulino <marco.gulino () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-12 8:12:35

Hello, I've been trying kstars on OSX, and I've encountered a few issues
about path detection.

On application startup, kstars complains about INDI directory:

Unable to find INDI Drivers directory: /usr/local/share/indi
> Please make sure to set the correct path in KStars configuration

I get a similar message when Ekos starts, complaining about astrometry.cfg.

On OSX, path detection should always depend on the current bundle absolute
path.
I just had a similar problem myself, if you don't want to modify the app
itself to detect its prefix you should use a bash launcher script, and use
this script in info.plist instead of the kstars binary.
The script should then pass to the kstars binary the application prefix
(using a command line option, or an environment variable, for instance).

You can find some examples in my application github repo, in the files
directory: https://github.com/GuLinux/PlanetaryImager/tree/v0.7/files

In this case, Info.plist points to planetary_imager_osx_launcher.sh, which
firstly detects the bundle absolute path, and then launches
planetary_imager with the "--drivers" option to properly find them in the
bundle path.

Cheers,
Marco

Marco Gulino - Senior Software Developer and Open Source advocate
website/blog: https://blog.gulinux.net
SkyPlanner - planning software for stargazing: http://skyplanner.gulinux.net