Dear John Due to the file size, there are all sorts of bizzare issues. If you could provide us any more debugging information, that might help us identify and fix the problem (eg: see if you can see any output on the console). But if you want a workaround, you can use the following to download it any way you like: http://files.kde.org/edu/kstars/download.kde.org/kstars/ Then uncompress and extract the tarball into some place where KStars can search for it. On Linux, this might be ~/.local/share/kstars/ or /usr/share/kstars/ if you are installing globally. Not sure where it is on Windows. I don't have a sha1sum for the tarball, but the extracted USNO-NOMAD-1e8.dat file has the following sha1sum on my laptop: 12e663e04cae9e43fc4de62d6eb2c69905ea513f Regards Akarsh