List:       kroupware
Subject:    Re: Kolab versioning,
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2004-01-05 13:53:21

Am Monday 05 January 2004 14:23 schrieb Thomas Lotterer:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > To my knowledge there is no 1.14 version of Kolab Server.
> > The last stable release by Erfrakon is 1.0.8.
> > There also was a 1.0.9pre and some improvements
> > in the CVS.
> >
> > There are two possible points of confusion.
> > 	The rpm of the webinterface is also called kolab.
> >         Last release was 1.0.14.
> >
> >         Zfos builds test packages based on new OpenPGK
> >         revisions. They unfortunately call their version kolab-1.0.14,
> >         I don't quite know why.
>
> Well, OpenPKG and ZfOS pull off kolab by fetching
> http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-server-1.0/src/
> kolab-%{V_major}-%{version}.src.rpm where the spec file declares V_major
> 1.0 and version 1.0.14
>
> I thought 1.0 is the kolab release and 1.0.14 represents some kolab
> version. It seems I was wrong. According to your statement above it is
> my understanding that 1.0 is the release of the kolab backend and 1.0.14
> is the version of the kolab web administration interface. At least both
> parts are included in the SRPM i'm talking about.
>
> Unfortunately, 1.0.8 does not appear anywhere in the filename so I and
> probably nobody else can predict what's inside. It also breaks every
> automated version tracking. BTW there are "very few" (updated) tarballs
> or RPMs available. It seems that kolab users have to use CVS to stay
> current!?

I second Thomas. I had the same problems when I was asked what version I was
using. Currently Kolab versioning is not understandable for people outside
the active development process. So I suggest to please update the ftp
directory names to reflect the release and rename the kolab rpm to e.g.
kolab-glue.rpm or whatever you think (but don't name it only kolab).

Regards,
Andreas