List:       kroupware
Subject:    Re: [Kroupware] Email to task or events
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2003-08-04 8:18:01

Am Freitag, 1. August 2003 22:02 schrieb James Mohr:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 08:33, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> > > Well, if you copy the message into the tasks, then a task is created.
> > > If you copy the message into the calendar, then an event is created.
> >
> > Sorry, I still don't understand. Given my current response, what should
> > happen when you copy it to a task folder? IMO the task content is
> > rather useless except when you e.g. define the task as "write an answer
> > to that issue".
> > What should happen copying it to an event folder? Does ist mean, this
> > was the moment when I got that mail?
> >
> > It's completely different when you talk about messages containing an
> > ical or vcard attachment. But they get already handled by the Kroupware
> > client. No need to copy them.
> >
> > So, please try to explain in detail what you're refering to.
> >
> > Andreas
>
> I use MS-Outlook at work. If I take an email message and drop into into
> the task folder, it creates a new task. The topic/subject of this new
> task is the same as the email message and the information field (or
> whatever it is called) in the task, is the body of the email message. No
> deadlines or any other details are set.However, it saves me a lot of
> trouble when I want to create a task from an email. The task content is
> an extremely useful aspect of the task as it contains details of what
> needs to get done. Currently, with Kolab, I have to create a new taks and
> manually copy everything from the email.
>
> If I copy an email message to the Calendar in Outlook, I get a popup
> window where I can put the date and time, etc.. The information field is
> the body of the message. Once again, I don't have to manually copy the
> information from the email message. Outlook takes this one step further
> and allows me to send an email message from either a task or calendar
> event. This is true integration of the various components.
>
> Regards,
>
> jimmo

Ah, I see. I guess it's not possible that you get the senders of those mails
towards sending events and tasks at once. That would be the natural way.

So this is indeed a feature, but I guess it's one what currently has lower
priority. I'm afraid all you can do is wait a while. Kolab can replace
Outlook/Exchange, but if you rely on special OL features then you need to
wait for further evolution of Kolab and it's clients. However IMO there is
a strong momentum in open groupware solutions' development, perhaps it will
not take too long until you'll get all the features you need.

Regards,

Andreas