List:       kroupware
Subject:    [Kroupware] FAQ: Scalability
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2002-09-30 5:47:31

Question: What do you mean with Scalability?

Answer:
The Kolab server is designed with maximal scalability in mind. Basically this
means we are targeting possible installations with many thousands and maybe up
to millions of users.
In order to achive this we employ a number of technologies but try _very_ hard
to not introduce to much complexity.

Scalability techniques employed are:

- make it possible to distribute the Kolab components across multiple servers.
E.g. seperate the MTA and the IMAPD

- make it possible to cluster functionality in order to gain high performance
and high availability.
E.g. use several Postfix MTA's and MX records for HA and HP

- Don't put unecessary processing on the Kolab server but use the clients
instead. Basically this means that with the number of the clients the
available processing power also increases

- Optimize the architecture for I/O. This means mainly avoid unnecessary
copying of data and allow for the use of burst technologies

- Allow for distributed clustering basically to gain HA and network
bandwidth/latency

- Use latency hiding techniques

Yours,
--martin