List:       kroupware
Subject:    Re: [Kroupware] 2 little questions
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2002-09-13 6:48:27

On Friday 13 September 2002 08.33, Guenter Schwann wrote:
> On Friday 13 September 2002 08:15, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> > On Friday 13 September 2002 08.08, Guenter Schwann wrote:
> > > 2.) Will the client be usable without a server (storing the
> > > calendar/todo/... stuff local on harddisk)
> >
> > Well, if you don't have a server at all, then you can't schedule
> > meetings with others. But if all the user is interested in is keeping
>
> Why not? I can do it even now.
>
> > his own schedule and todos, it should be possible if you are "always
> > offline", i.e., never do an IMAP sync.
>
> But if I want to check my mails, I have to go online.
>
> Think of a private user at home. Your solution would be nice for this guy
> because it is integratet (many people love this), the incoming
> IMIP-messages are handled more "handy".
> So I yould like to see a setting where you can switch between local and
> remote use.
> This can be done 2 different ways:
> * by just selecting the propper (IMAP via KMail or local as now).
> * with local use KMail uses always "offline-mode" for
> KOrganizer-communication
>
> Both should be rather simple, but usefull for _many_ people (me!).

Sure, but isn't that what I said? With "always offline", I don't mean a
special mode, I just meant that you simply don't sync with the IMAP server.

You always need a mail server anyway to store your incoming mails for you
(unless you run an MTA at home and have a permanent connection, but that is
probably not the case for a home user), however, so this could very well be
your IMAP server.

Or were you thinking about retrieving your email with POP3 and then feeding
them into KOrganizer? I am not 100% sure how Karl-Heinz has designed the
parsing of the incoming messages, but I believe that this should work
automatically. It is not in the scope of the actual Kroupware project, since
we are targetting a certain server, but it should come out as a "fringe
benefit" without much extra coding (if at all).

Or did I misunderstand you entirely?

Kalle

--
Matthias Kalle Dalheimer