List:       krbdev
Subject:    Re: communications with KDC in calling krb5_get_init_creds_password()
From:       Greg Hudson <ghudson () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2014-06-25 19:45:38

On 06/25/2014 03:05 PM, Bin Lu wrote:
> 1.      Why the API needs to talk to KDC twice in order to validate the password? \
> As I understand all it needs is to check if it can decrypt the TGS session key \
> returned in the 1st response.

If the KDC requires preauthentication for that principal, two
round-trips are usually needed.  The first reply indicates what preauth
mechanisms the KDC supports, and the second contains the actual ticket.

> 2.      What data it receives from KDC would cause response TOO BIG in this API, \
> the credential?

Probably a large PAC
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc237917.aspx) in the
authorization data of the ticket.